Saturday, July 26, 2008

Still playing catch up...

Okay we're at Thursday now.... (Westport)

Thursday I ventured out to Westport- the last region I could hit before heading home- and the area I most wanted to see. The train ride alone was beautiful, Irish countryside- rolling green hills, sheep pastures, the sea(sigh) Anyhow, getting to Westport involved a train to Dublin, and then a bus to another station in Dublin, and the final train to Westport- quite a long travel day- but I made it in around 5, and it was so worth it. I actually ended up staying in a B&B that wasn't much more than a hostel would've been, explored the adorable coastal town, and rented a couple movies(FYI- Penelope- adorable movie!) Another night of God totally blessing me though, I happened upon this place, it was actually not that expensive, and the owner was incredible! I got a good nights sleep, anticipating the next days adventure, and the reason I had come to Westport...

Friday (Westport/Murrisk)

How many people do you know who would hike six miles so that they could hike up a mountain? Well if you know me there's at least one:) The main reason I wanted to get to Westport was to hike up the Croagh Patrick- it's the 2,510 ft mountain that St. Patrick fasted on, and one I had read about prior to my visit. It was supposed to be a pretty intense climb and I was determined to get up it(even though my ankle has been acting weird yet again- who knows when I'll be back though!) I got up that morning only to find out that only one of the buses was heading out that day- at four, and seeing as I was hoping to get back to Paula and Martins by evening I was not waiting that long! But to come this far and not make it... what's six miles I figured.... and so I set off, and let me tell you, hiking towards that mountain was actually rather frightening, like it was taunting me- I finally made it, and at that point it was like- well made it this far, might as well go up! And so I began, and let me just say, this was not one of your nice little beaten down footpaths- it was loose boulders, the whole way, and I definitly wanted to be done a couple times, and it hurt a lot some times- but when I got to the top- WOW, one of the few times I can say I was speechless- what a way to worship- declaring his name on the mountaintop... I didn't even want to come down. I met a few girls at the top, Elaine from Dublin and Maryjan from Holland- another totaly God-given encounter- I had honestly been praying for someone to share their water, and not only that- they shared their lunch- what a blessing! And they were Christians- we all found quiet corners to pray before decending... On our way down Maryjan insisted that I use her climbing stick- noticing the limp:) I am immensely blessed in ridiculous ways- Once I reaced the bottom I met an ederly couple who were actually heading the same way, and they offered me a ride back to town, which then resulted in their elderly aunt (picture Granny Lindeen- Irish) deciding I should stay the night with her. By this point I had missed the last train to Dublin and wouldn't be back to Dundalk that night, meaning another night in Westport and so I found myself yet again taken in by a wonderful woman- who made sure I was in a taxi to get to the station bright and early so I could catch the first train out... Did I mention God is pretty awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment