Sunday, July 20, 2008

Not done yet...

My first full day in Dublin began with a peaceful walk along the river, and then a self guided tour of the Grand Canal area- beautiful- I listened to Bethany Dillon- Just me my ipod and Jesus- so good- saw the birthplace of George Bernard Shaw and St Stephens church- I was just proud of myself for not getting lost:) Anyhow, after finishing those walking tours I sat at a bench in the Canal Park and was pondering over my map- debating my next plan only to be startled when someone sat on the bench next to me- he startled me a bit, but soon Alexander was my new friend- wow what a broken man, I'm not sure why but he ended up sharing his story- initially from Kyrzakstan he's been in Ireland for 6 years now and at one point had a job and things were going well and then his life fell apart, he's been homeless for sometime now- not knowing where he will sleep or eat next. I almost felt as if God allowed me that fear to better understand people like him... perhaps just a glimmer- I cant imagine what it would be like day in and day out though- anyhow long story short I ended up telling him about my journey yesterday, and realized that God had blessed me and I couldn't not pass the blessing on so I offered to buy him lunch- which he refused, but I'm stubborn and won- so next thing I know I'm walking to a corner market with my homeless friend Alexander, when we parted ways I prayed with him- oh how I keep getting pushed out of my comfort zone... and told him I would continue praying for him... I feel so useless though- I left and wished I had done more. That is one thing I'm encountering a lot in Dublin- a feeling of helplessness- I see things so much differently now then I used to, and my heart is broken at the sight of the poverty that is prevalent in this city- I wish I could actually make a difference... I feel so blessed to have encountered Alexander and hear his story though- I am amazed how God continues to work in me on this trip... After parting with Alexander I went on another self tour, this time of the Temple Bar area- happened upon the Irish Film institute and Photo Gallery and took time to soak in the exhibit, though my mind and heart were still preoccupied with Alexander and his story... I decided to see a foreign film- good times:) And while waiting sat down for a cup of tea, only to have the waiter comment on my tattoo- what a day what a day... he decided we should go out for coffee after he was off work and I was out of my movie- Who gets themselves into these situations? God is challenging me majorly- he has very new agey beliefs, and I really wanted to cop out of the coffee excursion- not feeling up to that sort of intense conversation- I'm not capable of handling these sorts of things right now! God is though... and my goodness was I bold- my new friend from portugal ended up buying me dinner (and a teapot, so I would remember him) and over this dinner he actually commented on how I have a glowing Aura- to which I said- that would be the love of Christ shining in me. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!? Oh how I wish I could've made a difference in that mans life- I pray God will work on his hardened heart... I planned on a low key day... but God determines my steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment