Sunday, July 11, 2010

Reasons Why Guatemala is Beautiful

Yesterday a woman at the earth lodge asked me if I felt victorious… as if I’d overcome something and embraced what could have been a bad situation and made it a good experience… at first I wasn’t sure- but as I swing in a hammock and look out at the mountains while writing this I realize the answer is yes, though I’m pretty sure the victory belongs to that loving King I serve. Though I have a pretty horrible story to share, there are also good ones and blessings in ten-fold.

That’s what this particular post is going to about- focusing on the glimmers. It reminds me of my freshman year of college when a roommate and I had a particularly frustrating evening, leading me to post a list on our door of reasons why life sucked, warning all who entered- The next morning I replaced it with another, slightly more kosher list of reasons why life is beautiful- and it is- it’s a precious fascinating thing...

For your entertainment and for nostalgia's sake I'm posting those here as well...



(Sorry Katie, I kidnapped your photography- but you photographed my awesomeness, so fair game :oD)

The second list is difficult to read- so I want to highlight numbers 10 to infinity-

10) Christ didn't come for the perfect

11) He washes away our imperfections and makes us whole in Him

12) He has an incredible plan for our lives

13) We belong to Him

Infinity: He is with us always

Funny how something I wrote almost five years ago now can be so relevant to today... The girl on my floor who had photographed these also blogged about them- and the fact that the new list showed up in the morning- "Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes in the morning" (Psalm 30:5) And it does- though we may go through life experiences that bring us to a place of breaking, He is with us, we are His, and He has an incredible plan for our lives... Joy will come in the morning!

So here it is, my reasons why my time in Guatemala is beautiful in its own special unique way

*Those kids… I wish I could’ve brought Jostin, Maria, and Noemi home

*Being able to connect with Delmi, the severely epileptic girl-seeing her smile!

*Holding babies for hours and hours, and though getting physically tired, but not being tired emotionally

*Not understanding the words being sung during worship at church- but realising we're worshiping the same God

*Praying with the Dvorak boys when they were scared and being able to get them peacefully to sleep

*Living in the mountains

*Hiking in the woods on a daily basis- being surrounded by Creation

*Experiencing village life- going to tiendas

*Spending time in Antigua- not getting lost!

*Acquiring a Swiss-travel buddy for a day- pretty fun!

*Getting to be good friends with Donna

*Being able to share my testimony with a group of girls here with the Suzi Mag group

*Finding my way to the worship service without getting kidnapped, maimed, or lost!

*Experiencing America Latina Christian school- a ministry run with love

*Incredible lightening last night! Watching a lightening storm over the mountains from a hill

*Lovely sunny days mixed in with the dreary rainy ones

*Riding in a Tuk-Tuk by myself

*Taking a chicken bus that didn't get robbed

*Finding a hostel that has a tree-house lodge and serves amazing food!

*Feeling like God’s hands were totally all over my departure- and how immensely blessed I was in the process

*Even when I travel alone there are people back home caring about me and praying for me

*The fact that right now, at this very moment, I’m in a hammock, surrounded by mountains and volcanoes- and going to sleep in a tree house

*Learning more and more about how I’m wired, and listening to where God’s calling me- not where others want him to call me

*Making a difficult decision and not backing down from it

*Re-realizing yet again, how important it is to function within our God passions

*Having no idea what each day holds but knowing it is in His hands

Pretty sure I serve an awesome God!

No comments:

Post a Comment