Friday, February 8, 2013

What is Beautiful...

What is beautiful...

Knowing you are in exactly the right place at the right time, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing.

When I arrived in Kenya I anticipated diving in, but wasn't entirely sure what that would look like. Things were a bit hectic as the Directors mom recently passed away so the family's been busy with funeral arrangements. First surprise: teaching... they are pretty short staffed and one teacher has been in charge of both the toddlers and what we would classify as kindergarteners- all of a sudden I'm playing kindergarten teacher. Overwhelming? Yes. Incredible? Absolutely.

There have been a handful of moments where I really feel like I'm getting the eyes of Jesus... one girl in particular has really captivated my heart. Sembeo is 13, but is in my class because this is the first time she's ever been able to attend school- the tribe she's from doesn't value education. I watch as she painstakingly tries to do everything perfectly... she is so hungry to learn. I noticed that she was often struggling to keep up with the other kids so I've gotten in the habit of setting the work up on the chalkboard(yes we still use those here!) explaining it, then stopping to guide her and Zipporah (another newer child) through things a bit more slowly. She takes extra time to do it exactly right... and will notice her own mistakes and correct them- she's smart, just never had the chance to learn. Sembeo didn't know how to write her name yet, we practiced that today, and when she figured out how to do it on her own her face lit up. She stayed late just to practice, and practically skipped to lunch. Knowing that you matter is important. This moment took my breath away...

There is almost always at least 2 children holding my hands (yes- at times two will grab one- they're good at sharing) during their break I wound up with 20 children attempting to pile in my lap at once, and 2 standing behind me playing with my hair. It is perhaps, the best way to spend an afternoon.

There's already been a lot of talk about purpose and vision... Ella (the directors daughter) wants me to help organize a benefit show here- and there's even talk of recording an album with the kids- could be a fun project. We all sang together this morning, and again this afternoon... another one of those instances where you know you are right where you belong. Its already been stated that this is just the start of a bigger ministry the Lord has for me in Africa. Twice... The Lord only knows what will unfold- I just keep moving forward.

Beautiful is passionately pursuing your purpose, and helping other people find theirs.
Beautiful is holding a toddler who's soaked from an accident during nap
Beautiful is four girls crowding around to "plait" your hair, sometimes tugging a bit too hard, while singing songs about Jesus
Beautiful is 20 orphans singing the song "How He Loves" because it's true...
Beautiful is an orphans smile when they feel loved
Beautiful is the hands of an orphan, intertwined with yours
Beautiful is a 13 year old learning how to write her name... the smile on her face that comes when she succeeds... and the fact that she realizes she matters.

Life is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment