Monday, February 18, 2013

The Best Gifts

Anyone who's known me for any length of time is probably aware of my longing to truly live among the least of these... I've said for awhile that I'd be pretty happy to wind up living in a slum or leper colony some day, people have often said that would probably change- they are probably wrong.

Today we got to go with Nancy to the Huruma slum school, it was incredible to talk with Nancy and learn how much transformation had occurred in the last year alone, as well as to hear the director, Irene's, story of how God's vision and purpose for her life had unfolded- and really became something so much bigger and more beautiful than she'd envisioned for herself. Especially encouraging as that's something I've been wrestling with myself lately... I'd stay in a heartbeat. I just want my life to be used by God for His glory- I dont quite know how that's going to unfold and pan out though.

On our way there Irene informed us of some disheartening news- two of their students had gotten pregnant and aborted the babies... in a ministry where they are fighting to empower children from the slums with hope and opportunity for the future this was especially discouraging for the staff, she invited Nancy and I to join her as she had a very bold conversation with the female students, as well as take some time to lead them in worship. The girls were enthralled by my guitar/singing... I kind of felt like a rockstar :o) What was particularly incredible, however, was to see how everything came together... I sang one of the songs I wrote at the end and Nancy shared her testimony- both of these things were referenced in Irenes message and turned out to be fitting... God does an incredible job orchestrating things!

After our talk with the girls I got sent into the informal settlement (slum) with a couple of the students to visit their families, one of the girls started asking me if I would be back and spend more time singing with them- when I told her I desperately wanted to move to Africa but needed God to provide the resources she informed me she would start praying I could stay... I feel like that's a serious prayer. I was brought to one girls grandmothers than another's mothers home- I'm always so humbled by their hospitality and generosity, within minutes they were offering me soda and food... inviting me for dinner- the second family even invited me to live there. The grandmother makes beaded jewelry that she sells out of their little tin home- they wouldn't let me leave without a bracelet... this is perhaps one of the most valuable gifts I've ever received- the person gave it didn't have anything to give yet gave it any way.

It makes you realize how the sacrifices we make pale in comparison... we are so blessed- yet so hesitant to share at times. Perhaps we have a lot to learn from the least among us...

No comments:

Post a Comment