Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Home


I had an epiphany last night, I wont be going home on May 2. Now before you freak out thinking I’ve already made some rash decision to change my visa (I’d be lying if I said that hadn’t crossed my mind) what I’ve realized is Minnesota is not truly “home.” To be honest, ever since beginning this ridiculous journey of stepping out in faith and passionately pursuing God’s purpose and calling on my life I’ve felt a bit displaced. At least when I’m stateside.

East Africa has captivated my heart, I don’t entirely know how to explain it… words don’t exist to describe the sense of belonging I have here. Is it perfect? No. Everything I ever dreamed of? Not entirely. Home? Yes.

Yesterday we visited Hashima, a ministry that was started to provide special needs children and their mothers with care and hope. It was started by a family from Edina that saw the need for this kind of ministry need and wound up moving to Kenya; the mothers make and sell Jewelry as a way to provide for their children while the kids are receiving physical therapy and education. It truly lives up to its name, which means “dignity” in Swahili. In a world where children with disabilities are viewed as cursed and the woman abandoned by their husbands this place truly treats them as if they matter… with dignity. I think what got me most was the beauty of seeing God’s vision for someone unfold… seeing what can become when someone is willing to say yes and go where they’re called- even if it doesn’t make sense.

I so desperately want this for my life. I don’t really want to be “big.” There is often talk of the Mother Theresa, Heidi Baker, Katie Davis types in the world…  At times people have even attempted to compare me to one or the other… They were/are incredible, inspiring people- I’d love for God to use me to demonstrate even a fraction of the love they do. I’m just me though… nothing extraordinary or different, I just want to make a difference for someone. See someone who was maybe invisible, feed someone who was hungry, love someone who’s never felt it. Even if it’s just one- they’re worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment