Thursday, January 3, 2013

Kenya 2013

"The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"

If you've known me for any amount of time you've likely heard me talk about two things. Africa and orphans... If you want to get me fired up ask me specifically about God's heart for the orphans and the churches responsibility to care for them. I get a bit passionate. My heart? To love the least, the lost, the broken... there are so many children- most of whom, without someone coming into their lives will never know what it's like to experience a tangible form of love on earth. My heart breaks for the forgotten and abandoned- I wish I could somehow rescue every single one of them- but there's only one me. I just want others to encounter Jesus through my life, through simple acts of willful obedience, and let me tell you friends, one of us alone can't do a whole lot- but if each of us responded with love when we see a need imagine how different the world would look.

What does this mean? I keep passionately pursuing my God given purpose- keep running forward in this crazy adventure called life, wherever He leads me. Next step? Kenya. I'll be leaving in February to spend roughly 3 months serving at a couple different ministries- a lot of my time will be spent at the Brydges centre- a home that takes in the most vulnerable orphans from the slums and provides them with shelter education and training to become self reliant and skilled in the future, Bob and Nancy are also connecting me with some other incredible connections to work with a couple who rehabilitates a nurtures infants before they are able to go into an orphanage, as well as another who goes into the slums and works with the children there- this isn't going to be a fluffy trip... I'm getting ready to go into a world where I'll truly encounter "the least of these" I dont entirely know what to expect- but I'm prepared to be forever changed and broken in a good way. 

How you can help:
PRAYER!! Yes, this sounds cliche' but its incredibly true- the next few months will be intense and though I'm traveling solo I cant tell you how blessed I am to know I'm not "going alone"
Specific prayer needs
  • Health- I want the time there to count! Pray that I manage to avoid any bugs that could detract from time spent
  • Safety- both while traveling and living
  • Impact- as opportunities present themselves that God'll get me where he wants me and the time will be valuable with a lasting influence on the community I'm serving
  • Finances- holding a benefit on the 28th- that it will be fruitful and basic needs will be met, also that airfair surfaces quickly so my ticket can be booked while prices are still reasonable
  • Each of the children I encounter- that they will one day encounter and know a God who loves them
Thanks for joining me on this journey, whether it be in prayer, financially, or just tracking the adventure! I appreciate and love you all more than you know!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you, God bless your heart for the needy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me sister! I love you with all my heart and love to see you walking out His call on your life. So young, yet you're already a spiritual mom to so many. I can't wait to know you 25yrs from ln now! LOL. My selfish side will miss singing with you each Sunday. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :o) Thanks for your encouraging words! You both blessed me so much!

    ReplyDelete