Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Letter to Santa

As I scrolled through the photos from that day I wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for, all I knew was I desperately wanted to put a face to the name that had occupied my heart and prayers for the day- his request was simple:

Dear Santa, Please make daddy stop hitting mommy. Love Ben

Maybe I thought he would stand out- would be able to fake a smile, perhaps he would have sad eyes and a force smile... or maybe look uncared for and battered. I quickly was reminded how early on we learn to wear masks. All the kids looked fine, but somewhere among them is a boy living in a world full of pain... and its likely that among the kids who sat on Santas lap that day, he wasn't the only one. The picture he colored on the other side of his letter was a little boy crying and looking up at Santas sleigh- what an accurate picture of his life right now- desperately looking for hope- praying someone will give it to him.   What broke my heart wasn't just the fact that this boy had written a letter to santa, hoping he could do something, its the fact that he's surrounded by people who dont notice him. I spent a lot of time in tears that day- not just for Ben, but for other people I've likely encountered who are hurting yet I've been too busy, maybe too preoccupied by my own life to notice them.

I'm praying for Ben this year- praying that someone in his life will notice the pain him and his mom are going through-  that someone will take the time to see past the surface where everything is fine, into their hearts... show them they have value and worth, I'm praying that Ben will get his Christmas wish. I guess that's my challenge for you- look for "Bens" in your life, giving them hope is worth more than any other gifts you'll give this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment