Friday, October 28, 2011

Dusting off the non-verbal conversation skills...

As I walked up to my second table to respond to my attempted greet with nervous looks and sign language, I had to wonder if God was up to something... Within a half hour span of time my section was sat with two hearing impaired tables and two non-english speaking ones. Time to let those non-verbal communication skills resurface? I had to laugh because the whole thing was eerily reminisce of time spent overseas where I've had minimal knowledge of the native language- except this time I wasn't the one who was embarrassed. Before letting myself get frustrated (What are the odds, in the entire restaurant, I'd be the only one getting sat with these unique circumstances?!) I had to remind myself, this'll be me in a few months... Its one thing to have good non verbal communication skills... but to essentially carry on a conversation without using words? This poses a unique challenge because quite honestly, you need to get over yourself... I'm fairly certain my one "normal" table at the time probably enjoyed watching me interact with the rest of the tables... you wind up looking a bit silly- but it works. The first question people typically ask when they hear about time spent overseas is if I know a lot of languages. I don't, someday I hope to- and when I wind up living in a country for a longer duration of time I most certainly plan to- however, if that's a factor of fear keeping people from stepping out of their comfort zone don't let it be.... http://svekri.xanga.com/?nextdate=4%2f21%2f2007+17%3a14%3a15.097&direction=n that link should bring you to my old blog... Check out the the March 17th entry. Love.... it doesn't have a language barrier. Sometimes we forget that the advancement of the gospel doesn't depend on our eloquent words, more than anything its our actions. When people look at us do they see a love that lives loud? Do they see an irresistible boldness...Do they see a community of people who are radically different?
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:1-5 When we trust in ourselves we wont get far... we have language barriers, fears, inadequacies, baggage... The power of God however? That changes lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment